The behaviours encouraged to prevent the spread include:
- Let fresh air in if you meet indoors. Meeting outdoors is safer. Meeting outdoors vastly reduces the risk of airborne transmission, however, it is not always possible, particularly through the winter. If you are indoors, being in a room with fresh air (and, for example, opening your windows regularly for 10 minutes or a small amount continuously) can still reduce the airborne risk from COVID-19 substantially compared to spaces with no fresh air.
- Wear a face covering in crowded and enclosed settings where you come into contact with people you do not normally meet.
- Get tested, and self-isolate if required. Anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 should self-isolate and take a free PCR test as soon as possible.
- Try to stay at home if you are feeling unwell.
- Wash your hands with soap and water or use hand sanitiser regularly throughout the day.
- Download and use the NHS COVID-19 app to know if you’ve been exposed to the virus.